The charming community of Blowing Rock has attracted a steady flow of seasonal tourists since the late 1800s—when visitors would journey here to peer out over the eponymous cliffside outcropping. While the area’s outdoor offerings remain a big draw, the town warrants equal attention. One could easily spend a weekend shopping the many boutiques, where you’ll find everything from eccentric gifts for your pooch to fashionable shoes to handmade accents for your home. And with a host of fine restaurants and quaint inns, Blowing Rock makes a great base for exploring the area. But before you head out for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway or a hike up Grandfather Mountain, pick up some outdoor gear at Footsloggers, and pack a picnic at Blowing Rock Market deli. Here’s a sampling of shops to visit before you head home.
(clockwise from top left)
1. Blowing Rock Market Wine picnic pack $28 990 Main St.; (828) 295-7373
2. Footsloggers GO travel games $10, & stainless-steel water bottle (below) $16 921 Main St.; (828) 295-4453
3. Monkee’s Selling women’s apparel and shoes; dress by Susan Monaco (below) $260; 1203 Main St.; (828) 295-0708
4. IAGO A gallery selling art to wear and accoutrements for the home 1165 Main St.; (828) 295-0033
5. Neaco Cube frame by Umbra $24 Main St.; (828) 295-0709