WNC magazine, the award-winning quarterly lifestyle publication for Western North Carolina, is looking for a full-time senior editor to lead our editorial team. The senior editor will ensure that WNC magazine maintains the highest editorial and design standards, produce the publication on time and within budget, assist in related digital and social media efforts, and represent the magazine in the community professionally at all times.
She or he will be heavily involved in the creative process, contributing ideas, writing and editing skills, and problem-solving abilities to the production of the entire magazine in print and digital platforms, as well as future growth strategies. Our ideal candidate will have a deep interest in and ongoing engagement with life in Western North Carolina, as well as the ability to translate this into appealing, insightful articles, stories and posts. Publishing experience and the ability to manage a team of contributors is a must.
▪ Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a relevant field
▪ Three+ years of experience in publishing, preferably with at least one year of experience in an editorial oversight role
▪ Demonstrated experience with assigning, writing and editing stories
▪ Strong leadership abilities and experience in managing a staff and interns
▪ Top-notch organizational skills
▪ An eye for detail along with critical thinking skills
▪ Working knowledge of InDesign, Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and digital media technology is preferred
▪ Knowledge of Chicago and/or MLA style
▪ Familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
▪ A general familiarity of Western North Carolina life, history, and culture preferred
▪ Coordinate print and online publishing cycles and manage content areas
▪ Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
▪ Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
▪ Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
▪ Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces
▪ Recruit and manage contributing writers
▪ Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers and advertising reps
▪ Oversee social media
▪ Meet deadlines and budget requirements
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to WNC Publisher Mike Granger at email@example.com. No phone calls please. The position will be based in the Asheville area, with significant ability to work from home/remotely.
WNC Internship Opportunities
Interested in getting hands-on experience publishing a magazine? GulfStream Communications, publisher of WNC (Western North Carolina magazine based in Asheville, North Carolina), Charleston, Charleston Weddings, and Grand Strand magazines in South Carolina, offers internships in graphic design, editorial, photography, marketing & sales, and multimedia. Unpaid spring, summer, and fall semester internships are open to qualified applicants.
Requirements: Strong creative writing, grammatical, research, and communication skills. Social media skills a plus. Must submit writing samples.
Requirements: Must have personal digital SLR equipment and a good understanding of digital photography and lighting. Experience with product shots and portraits are pluses. Must submit digital photography samples.
Requirements: Strong customer service skills, previous experience or coursework in public relations, social media proficiency, and knowledge of Microsoft Office are required. Design experience a plus. Position requires some regional travel.
Requirements: Proficiency with Dreamweaver, InDesign, and Adobe Flash are necessary. Creative writing skills and social media experience required. Basic understanding of HTML and video production experience are pluses. Must submit pertinent samples.
To apply for an internship, please e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and pertinent samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail materials to WNC Internships, 33 Patton Ave., Suite 301, Asheville, NC 28801.